Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The FCKC War with ACI - Part One

As promised in my post Happy Tuesday People! Some Theme Songs for Your Day.... Warm Up to the FCKC War! I said I was going to break down all the drama for you over this whole FCKC thing and my war with ACI... I've been drafting this post since yesterday and it is up to 9 pages at this point in Word.. Yeah NINE PAGES... So I'm going to break this up into several parts so you can go ahead and start reading....

Without any further adieu, here is Part One.... of... The FCKC WAR!

So for the past 3 months pretty much all of my spare time has been dedicated to competing in the Fairfax County Karaoke Championship. My friend Andie refers to these 3 months as “Karaoke Season”. It is when karaoke ceases to be something you do for drunken fun and turns into a Battle Royale blood sport of insanity where people become psycho competitive frenemies. 

Think of that one line from Miss Congeniality when Sandra Bullock says something to the effect of we smile to each other's faces while secretly hoping they trip and fall on those faces on stage... And go flat and sharp... and stumble during their choreography.. and rip their pants, etc.

In case you are wondering, the answer is YES. This is what I neglected you fine interwebs people for all these times and I’m terribly sorry because you all mean so much more to me than a stupid karaoke title and money (I actually mean that and you will find out why towards the end of all these posts in my closing thoughts).

For those who do not know, the Fairfax County Karaoke Championship is a contest run by Associated Consultants, Inc. (ACI) in conjunction with Celebrate Fairfax. The Qualifying rounds take place in various venues throughout Fairfax County, and as of 2013 its neighboring areas which I think is wrong because they aren’t in Fairfax County, from the beginning of March through about the 3rd-4th week of May. You compete at these various venues and there are winners every week.

These winners all come back the week of May leading up to Memorial Day Weekend to compete in the Venue Finals for each venue. The winner of each Venue Final then goes on to compete in the Semifinals at Celebrate Fairfax the 2nd weekend of June. Then 6 contestants advance to the Finals the same day. Of those 6, a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner are all named, given money, and titles of karaoke glory and awesomeness. 

If you’ve read my About Me section of my blog then you would know I have been a Semifinalist in this competition for the past 2 years, 2011 and 2012.

2011 Semifinals


2012 Semifinals

I just like this picture... Queen of Fairfax H.R.M. Niki Slik (in case you thought I was kidding) and The D.C. People's Champ


This year, they added a new round of the competition called the Wild Card Round which took place Friday, 6/7/2013, at Celebrate Fairfax. It is basically a last chance to dance for all the 2nd Place winners of each Venue Final to potentially make it into the Fair. I qualified for it at Greene Turtle Fairfax where the KDJ was none other than the owner of ACI himself and our good friend we dedicated our love songs to in Happy Tuesday People! Some Theme Songs for Your Day.... Warm Up to the FCKC War, Glenn.

Personally, I believe this was added because fewer venues and people were actually interested in participating and there weren’t enough winners of Venue Finals to fill up the normal amount of spots and keep the competition high. I believe this because the one-off at Greene Turtle was supposed to be at Sully’s and I spoke with Glenn several times as it kept getting cancelled. Sully’s has participated every other year previously so based on how our good friend Glenn has behaved this year (which is surprising because he used to be nice), it stands to reason he may have turned somebody off there with his new attitude and they told him to go F himself.

Anyway, all this Wild Card Round really served to do though was add a new level of BS and confusion because it was not planned out well enough. Not surprising considering all the things we’ll discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment