Friday, June 28, 2013

Part 7: Conclusion of the FCKC War With ACI - Closing Thoughts

Closing Thoughts, Morals, Takeaways, Life Lessons, etc.


So, in case you haven't figured out why I don't care about obliterating my bridges with Glenn and Fingaz as discussed in FCKC War Footnote - Miss Slik's Advice On Burning Bridges and BONUS THEME SONG! ... I will not be competing in the Fairfax County Karaoke Championship next year in the Spring of 2014. Seriously.

I’m probably banned from competing in it anyway based on what has happened, which I’m OK with. But even if I would be allowed to compete by ACI, I do not want to. It is just not in me to go through this again for another 3 months of my life. I get nothing from it of any real value… In fact, I actually lose things of real value i.e. money for food, drinks, costumes, props, etc for and during competitions, vacation time from work, my friends, my sanity, my sleep, etc..
I had contemplated it though. I think in order to do it, I'd need a vocal coach, costume designer, and choreographer to assist me throughout the entirety of the competition. They would help ensure every part of the criteria was met to the letter and each performance was basically on par with shows like the Grammies, MTV, CMA's, etc.. Then, if I didn't win I could claim more foul play and start an even bigger war next year about issues with non-adherence to the criteria (which has also been a problem in the past) and more unfairness to contestants. But I don't think I want to put myself through that.
However, for anyone who thinks this is just a stupid karaoke contest and doesn’t understand why so many people are as angry as they are about the unfairness, I hope you get that we invest THREE WHOLE MONTHS EVERY SINGLE YEAR of our own lives along with the lives of our family, significant others, spouses, friends, etc. who get dragged along week after week, night after night, just to support us and contribute to those 10 measly Crowd Response points. All we do is sleep, eat, breath, crap, drink, and most of all, sing karaoke. I’ve lost several friends and even boyfriends over this contest. In fact, the length and detail of these 7 total posts should give you an extreme indication of how seriously we take the FCKC.
Even if I had won the whole shebang, what would $1,500 and a title have cost me? I hate who I become as a contestant in the FCKC. I hate who A LOT of us become when we compete in this contest. We are terrible people who would kill each other for three months because of this contest.
One of the winners this year who just missed that big prize said her only point of consolation for not winning 1st place was that she at least beat out a 13 year old child… a little boy she has had daggers for that had beat her our every year since he was 8 or 9 years old. I looked at her 2 years ago during my first time competing and said, “Do you realize you’re basically saying you’d shank a 9 year old for a karaoke title?”
Normally she’s a very lovely person who is quite friendly and loving of children so I found this extremely shocking. She even likes this kid under normal circumstances. He’s a very nice kid. I personally think he’s amazing and we both agree he should be on TV. But this is what I’m talking about. It’s disgusting behavior.
I’m disgusted with myself for having turned on my own friends… people who have done absolutely NOTHING to me EVER but be nice, caring, awesome people. This is most evident with Vince and Nani who beat me at the venue final for Fast Eddie’s Fairfax. I criticized their performances for weeks and scrutinized Vince's energy level and audience connection that night along with Nani's vocal ability (she really should sing more Country songs though because SWV does not show her range very well)... The thing is, I wasn't even the only one joining in on this discussion. However, bygones and sincere apologies go out to them whether they knew what was said or not because they didn't deserve to be shredded.
For real though, want to know of whom I am extremely envious and insanely, beyond blindly jealous of? Nope.. Guess again... It is definitely not the people who won at the Fair. I’m actually super happy for them, especially 2nd Place Winner Lauren and 3rd Place Winner Atir because they are both friends and fellow members of the Chuka League. WHOYOUWITH?!?!
Honestly, the person of whom I am the most jealous is my friend and another fellow Chuka League member, the Air Guitar Super Champion of the World, Richard Fraina. Why? Because he had the most fun that Friday night out of any of us. He didn’t make it into the rounds at the Fair and seemed cool with it. He also didn’t bad mouth anyone or hate on any of his friends.


“Went to celebrate Fairfax sang two songs at karaoke then saw sponge filter live and everclear. Got to hang out with friends and talk about music between bands overall a good night” and then he tagged a girl named Heather, Naniboo, and myself.
I saw him at the end of the night when I was getting ready to leave. He came back with the most gigantic smile on his face and pulled out 2 CD’s he got from the bands. His look on his face was the same as my friend Mele’s and mine the year before after we saw Legends of Hip Hop on the main stage at Celebrate Fairfax. It’s a look of mind-blown awesomeness at the craziness that has just transpired. I love the bands that performed and have been fans of them for years. I wish I would have just forfeited my spot and gone with him to see the show instead.
Here is where this whole situation becomes supremely ironic... The first week of competition, Richard was a judge at Fast Eddie's Fairfax for a Qualifier. We got into an argument when I lost because he deducted points from my score for cursing in my song, Nicki Minaj's "Did It On 'Em". You are allowed to do that during the Qualifiers because the bars most of the weekly competitions take place at are not family-friendly establishments. He disagreed and said that no cursing was one of the rules. My response was, "Yeah, you can't curse at the Fair but you can in the Qualifiers!" I had learned this lesson during Week 1 of 2011 when I competed in my first Qualifier ever.
I was so mad at him I didn't speak to him for at least a month after that night. But, who was right and who was wrong? The rules don't really specify and they probably should. At least I can walk away knowing that I somehow made a difference for the contestants by making a huge stink about it all... and that makes me happy. No matter what, I guarantee it will still remain a vicious cycle.
In the meantime, we still have about 8 months until the blood bath that is Karaoke Season begins again in March of 2014.
Hold up....


And just in case you missed them:

No comments:

Post a Comment